Friday, July 07, 2006

Summer Session at School

Today on her walk to school Katy met kids! 5 professor's kids, one of whom had to tell me about his dad's privates. Definitely going through the phallic stage. He also asked me if I knew Fnu Lnu (his mom). I said no, do you? It was all pretty fun meeting kids. My favorite memory of Max meeting kids is the time we encountered a bunch of them on Symons Lane. We had to stop of course because Max is Mr. Friendly. One of them commented that he was wearing a belt, referring to his leather embossed collar from SDC. It really does look like a belt though I had never myself seen it that way up until that moment.

Katy has not met very many kids and was definitely scared of them. With a bit of ingenuity, politeness, and patience I am sure I can figure out a way for her to meet kids often. She has to. It's our new goal now that we have passed Housebreaking 101 and Snoozing Near Parents 102. She's concurrently enrolled in Meeting Kids 103, Bring/Give 113, and Kisses 123. I think she could take on a few more credits during this summer session at WC as she appears to be an apt pupil.

Today's mail brought the arrival of a much anticipated new boook - The Newfoundland Puppy: Early Care, Early Training by Judi Adler. Being the book worm that I am, I instantly opened it and got sucked in. Soon I found myself multi-tasking. Reading, eating, and playing flip-flop chew at the same time. If only I had an opposable tail I'd be able to add wiping up the floors! There are so many books I'd like to read; it's difficult to choose where to start. I like books that can be picked up and read at random. They're the best for busy people. Two are on my list now: Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor which has been on our bookshelf courtesy of Margot for a long time. I flipped through it a while back but having been through both Skinner(Eacker)'s class and behavioral therapy for a boy with autism during college, I wasn't all that captivated. Still I did get a great idea for teaching operant conditioning in intro psych. The other book I would like to read is Adapting Minds by David Buller. It's a critique of EP that got a lot of attention months ago. For shear warm fuzzies delight, I think it would also be amusing to page through this one. I haven't bought the latter two yet, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time. About books and buying them: I figure that I am pretty much a book junkie in a small office with zero available shelf space so I'd better take the MBS approach - Get rid of one before buying another. So, now it's also a matter of selecting two books to put up on Amazon marketplace! Piece o'cake... not.

Here's Margot, the soon-to-be-mom, looking totally gorgeous:

No comments: