Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ring-Tailed Lemur Makes a Big Stink

A few days ago I sculpted a ring-tailed lemur out of polymer clay. I had been thinking about doing it for a few days, and I have to admit my usually confident self thought maybe it would prove to be too challenging.

My goal was to make it look unmistakably like a ring-tailed lemur.

I also wanted to make the little darling functional, so rather than simply being an ornament for a desk, which there is nothing wrong with, I gave her a job.

She holds an incense stick so she can exude all kinds of wonderful smells, just like lemurs do in real life.





Don't let her sweet appearance fool you - lemur girls are feisty creatures who are known for being dominant to males. They mark territory with scented glands in their wrists and have been known to have "stink fights." Smelliest one wins!

To learn more about lemurs, click here. The Duke University Primate Center rocks. One of my absolute favorite primate species is the aye-aye - the world's most unusual lemur. To find out more, click here and then scroll down until you see the primates.

7 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I have two coworkers that I'm convinced are engaged in a stink fight of their own. Yikes.

punchanella said...

she looks great. men having been using stink to be bossy forever, good to know that women have the same capabilities.

Laurie K said...

that is an awesome ring tail lemur!

Anonymous said...

I think you've really succeeded. She looks like a lemur and the Awwww...... factor is very high.

Congrats.

Phyllis

Anonymous said...

She is so cute! I love her! Great job! :)

Terri said...

I LOVE that lemur!!

KieutiePie said...

"She holds an incense stick so she can exude all kinds of wonderful smells, just like lemurs do in real life."

LOL!!!!!